HMI HOUSE OF MUSIC INNSBRUCK | TYPE Open 2-stage Competition - 3rd prize LOCATION Innsbruck / Austria YEAR 2014 COLLABORATION Pichler & Traupmann Architekten ZT GmbH TEAM Philipp Weisz ACOUSTIC Prof. Karlheinz Müller MÜLLER BBM STRUCTURAL ENGINEER Bollinger Grohmann Schneider ZT GmbH LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTS dnd landschaftsplanung zt kg RENDERINGS isochrom.com MODEL Harald Schmidt, Vienna
The new Haus der Musik (House of Music) in Innsbruck will re-zone one of historic Innsbruck’s most important focal points and articulate it as a pulsating, living space of culture.
The starting point for the reflections on how to clearly articulate this culture district was the historic urban situation around 1800. At that time the Hofburg was connected to the Redoutensäle, which stood on the site of the Haus der Musik, by a building known as the “Hofgangbau”. The effect of this was that the present-day Universitätsstraße was clearly defined as a street and the present day Rennweg, which at the time was correctly still called Renn-Platz, was defined as a Platz or public square. This legible structure was gradually lost from 1844 onwards, but today can be used to legitimise an urban planning measure that enables these two urban spaces to be more keenly and more clearly experienced. The three existing trees are incorporated as natural monuments in the new sequence of public spaces, as if they had been planted especially. The black pine marks the new forecourt of the Museum of Tyrolean Regional Heritage, while the oak tree and the copper beech are positioned at a focal point of an imagined ellipse which, with the Leopoldbrunnen at its centre, formulates the forecourt of the Haus der Musik
The new Haus der Musik in Innsbruck will introduce an entirely new urban user level – for both tourists and residents alike. An upward sloping plane will create an outdoor public space. This plane develops on the roof of the foyer and can be reached from the two arms of the building that enfold the forecourt. In a sense this creates a public spectator stand for an open air auditorium with the panorama from the Hofburg to the Nordkette mountain range as a backdrop, which also leads past spectacular viewers into the foyer area and up to the entrance to the public library.
As an open building the new Haus der Musik in Innsbruck can accompany the flow of passers-by into and through the building. The foyer zone is situated in front of the building in such a way that, on the one hand, it offers a short cut between the points Landestheater and the end of Angerzellgasse, and on the other can incorporate an attractive relationship to outdoor space in the direction of the Hofburg. Concert and theatre visitors reach the auditoria via curved, spatially complex staircases. With their different sizes, heights and functional relationships, the four main halls are woven into a spatial construct, in a certain sense interlocked, to create a functionally highly compact nucleus of music and drama which, in the interior, offers maximum freedom to shape the acoustics and externally the maximum amount of freedom to develop a spatially exciting circulation zone around it.